Friday, October 26, 2007

Croup

Naomi is sick. :o(

Poor baby. She is just not herself. It is a scary thing for a parent to have a sick baby. They can't tell us how they feel - you kinda have to guess. We thought she was just getting Francis' cold but this morning she was making weird inhale noises when she coughed or cried. It really scared the crap out of me. Off to the doctor. Turns out she has croup. Poor baby.

My doctor told me there were 2 possible treatments. One involves steroids the other involves no medication but a cold air humidifier, an open window and a snowsuit. Of course I picked the latter. :o)

This brings me to post something I think may be of use to new parents out there.
Most coughs and colds are best remedied by putting the baby in a cool humid room (cold air vaporizer, open window). Place a folded towel or blanket under the mattress at one end so baby is sleeping on a slight angle. Spray some saline solution in each nostril, wait 30 seconds and use the snot sucker (nasal bulb) to get everything out. Administer Tempera (or equivalent) for fever. Don't give a baby cough syrup. Ever.

Maybe some of you BTDT parents have some other suggestions, ideas, contributions?? I like to take a natural approach as much as possible. Recently a friend told me about Camilia which you have to get at a health food store - but it is amazing for teething as it's a pain reliever and fever reducer. Another friend told me about OLBAS oil (oil of basil). It's a sort of aromatherapy that has a strong scent (like Vick's or eucalyptus). You can put a few drops on baby's pj's or on bedding to help open nasal passages.

19 comments:

Colleen said...

I am so sorry that she is so sick. As a first time Mom I struggle with what is right and what is wrong too. You will figure it out, because you are her Mommy. :)

Janet said...

I remember taking Sarah to the hospital with the same thing. By the time we got to the hospital, she was doing so much better because she had been outside in the cold air. I now will take them outside, or open up my freezer and let them breathe the cool air. Propping them up with a towel is a good idea too. Croup is the WORST! Nothing scarier than watching your child fight for breath. Hope she gets better soon!!!!

geminirn said...

Hope your little sweetie feels better soon.You don't know how happy i am to hear you say that you would rather use the natural appoach at home first,I'm an ER nurse and you would not believe the people that pack up their children late at night/driving in horrible weather to arrive at the ER to find that what we are going to do for their wee ones, are most often the same sort of things they could have tried with their child in the safety of their own home
KUDOOS TO YOU!!!!!!!

Saint John,NB

OziMum said...

Poor Naomi. I hope that the cold air clears her up in no time!

Take it easy!
Lee-Anne

Doris & Dan said...

I got no advice but I am all ears to learning.

I hope Miss Naomi feels better soon!

Keep smilin!

i-Con said...

I hope she's in the pink again soon!

Mom to Lucy and Lisa said...

We were told cold air by our favourite ER nurse (see Geminirn above) but prior to talking to her and waking at 5 a.m. to hear our little one gasping for air we put her in the bathroom with Daddy and ran a hot shower and the steam worked wonders to clear her chest and help her breath and reduce the cough. Mommy ran and fetched some expectorant.

Our little one also had a fever and we knew to use Tylenol and Advil to bring that down (from a previous conversation with said favourite ER nurse!!)

Jeter Mama said...

feel better sweet Naomi.

Catherine said...

Poor baby. Hope she's feeling better soon!

Thank you so much for all the tips and advice. I'll tuck these away for later.

Sweet dreams Naomi. Hope tonight is better for all.

Steffie B. said...

Poor baby....I hope she feels better soon!

Abby's Mom said...

Poor baby! I hope shes feeling better soon.

stefferqc said...

You can get Camilia at any drug store, such as Jean Coutu, no problem. It works miracles, btw! Salinex is a mommy's best friend too - whenever the kids get a cold out comes the Salinex or Hydrasense, to unblock the poor nose, cause when they are young, they can't blow their noses and oops, there comes an ear infection. Hang in there, Naomi!

Isabella's Mommy & Daddy said...

So sorry to hear that she is sick...
Hope she feels better soon...
You will do fine... you know her better then anyone...
Kim

Nikki said...

I hope she is feeling better soon! Thanks for the helpful tips!

Smiles! :o)
Nikki

Elisa, Jarrod, Thomas & Zoe said...

Never had to deal with croup yet.
You sound like you have a good remedy though...keep us updated,
I hope it doesn't last too long.

Lisa, Doug & Briana said...

Luckily, Briana has only had one small head cold. I haven't had to deal with her being really sick yet. I dread that day! Thanks for the advice!

Debz said...

Sorry to hear that she was sick, poor little pumpkin, how is she doing now?

RoLo said...

Oh no, I hope she is feeling better, thanks for the tips and suggestions

Elise said...

I hope she gets well real soon! Croup is so scary...my oldest would get it all the time. Happy belated birthday to the big 1 year old girl:)