Wednesday, June 20, 2007

what I've been up to lately

Today after work I found a little love in the mailbox. My Aunt Josee knit these adorable baby socks for Naomi that match the ones she made for me recently! Thank you!!!! This is what it looks like pretty much every day ... more and more bags of "stuff"

This time it was baby cereal - I was told to look for anything but rice :o) and the kind that you just add water. I also picked up some swimming diapers for the pool at the hotel - I even had a coupon for $2.50 off! Oh yes, I also found a white hat for myself ... seeing that the current temperature in Beijing is 37 degrees ... (I'm Canadian - you do the math!)
I found myself a spiffy pair of Merrell Mary-Jane sneakers - I just can't stand the idea of wearing closed running shoes and socks in the heat ... since I have vowed to pack light, I will wear these to China and bring only my Nike sports sandals ... oooo...2 pairs of shoes for 2 weeks, can it be done??
Today we mailed off our package to our daughter! I didn't take pictures but included in the box was: 1 disp. camera, camera instructions in Chinese, questions about our daughter, Who Loves baby photo album, 1 sundress, 1 pj, 1 blankie, 1 box of maple cookies, 1 bag of maple candies, 1 tube of Gerber melt aways, 1 tiny bunny and a few diapers to fill the empty spots! Luckily, Stephan mailed it from NC today for $36 - mailing it from here was going to be $118!! Now he's hitting the Wal-Mart to pick up Charmin-to-go rolls, A&D diaper ointment and Airborne which we do not have here ... I guess all this business travel has it's advantages!
And because my life isn't insane enough - school ends on Friday and I just realized that I didn't get gifts for the teachers, daycare staff, lunch monitors, bus driver...etc. So off we flew to good ol' Tim Hortons for gift certificates. The teachers are also getting one-of-a-kind handmade cards from Francis.

18 comments:

cougchick said...

Cha-ching! You go girl!

Janet said...

Love those cards! They are the BEST kind to get!

And 2 weeks with only 2 pairs of shoes.....? I think you can do it, somehow....:-)

amy said...

Oh what fun!!!

Mark & Michelle said...

2 pairs of shoes for 2 weeks...I don't know that I could do it!!

I will have to remember that about mailing from the States...Thanks for the tip!

I am thinking that running around like a chicken with your head cut off is only going to get worse in the next few weeks!! However, I have no doubt that you will do fine!!

Elisa, Jarrod & Thomas said...

Love the shoes...great purchase.
I might go and pick up a black pair I saw for the bargain price of $20!

I also have bought some more cereal too!

Doris & Dan said...

Socks and shoes are super!

It will only get busier and better!

Keep smilin!

mom to three great kids said...

Love the shoes...where did you find those?...have fun shopping.....

wzgirl said...

Auntie-made socks rock! How fun that they match Mommie's! Can you believe that you've actually sent off your daughter's care package? Whoa.

Lisa and Doug said...

Oh gosh - you sound like me! I have so much still to do! I am going to send my care package off in a day or two!

Catherine said...

Great gifts and fun cards made by Francis. Those are the best kinds!

Love the shoes! Look cool, comfy and light. All good things!

A shopping you will go....a shopping you wil go....

Will keep in mind mailing the care package from the US. Great idea! Our postal costs and mega expensive!

K. said...

What an exciting time! All the best to you!

PromiseKeepersDaughter said...

You are having way to much fun!!!
I think my biggest hurtel will be tring to pack a tight suitcase and keep it under/to the standard weight. I guess the flight back would be harder.

Colleen said...

Hold on...what?? 37 in Beijing? NOW??? Are you kidding? I don't have "that" into my equation of clothing. Oh man - now I am more stressed.

tracy said...

How much fun are you having!!!

I'll be anxious to know if you can do the 2 shoes in 2 weeks, that's a tough one. How about some Crocs?

Love those new shoes!

kris said...

I packed 5 pair of shoes just for a short trip to SC... China will be the death of me trying to scale down!

OziMum said...

Hi there Julie! I'm a bit ticked I was away for the big announcement - but I'm catching up now!

Wow! Naomi is just beautiful! I can't stopped grinnin, at these new babies! 7 months old?! What a little peanut!

Congratulations guys!

Naomi IS coming home!

OziMum said...

Ooo, forgot to comment on this post! Ha!

LOVE your shoes! I'm sure you'll be totally preoccupied with Naomi to worry too much about your shoes (or lack of them!!!)

Stacy said...

LOVE the socks. They are so cute!

I like the new shoes. Those are going to be perfect for all the walking.

I can't believe the difference in cost to send a care package. You sent some really good things. I would have not thought to send diapers and such.

All of this is so exciting!!