Saturday, June 09, 2007

about Guizhou


Since we got news of our referral we have been scouring the 'net' for any info on Guizhou or the Qiandongnan SWI. It seems that there is very little information out there but so far this is what I have learned from the small Guizhou Yahoo adopters group and the internet.

Guizhou is one of the poorest provinces in all of China and is the province with the most minority groups. The capital city is called Guiyang and this is probably where we will travel to. People who adopted from that SWI said that the foster parents and director (Mr. Chen) brought the children into Guiyang (to the hotel) for the gottcha moment. I have found no one who has been to the SWI as it is a 3-4 hour car ride to the town of Kaili. It appears that most of the children are in the foster care system there. The children from Guizhou are generally very healthy and are most often from the Miao or Dong minorities. Both minorities are very creative people and have a very strong culture and tradition.

The city of Guiyang looks like a small but modern city with chain hotels, Walmart, KFC, Pizza Hut, you name it but it is the surrounding area that interests me most. The Dong people built many bridges known as wind & rain bridges that are quite interesting and there are beautiful waterfalls and pristine mountains.

You can click here for the incredible pictures of Qiandongnan. Here are some random pictures of the area and the people.

17 comments:

Janet said...

Thank you, thank you for posting this info! It is so interesting! That bridge picture is simply beautiful!

Janet said...

PS- How do you say "Guizhou?"

Val and Ron said...

Congratulations on your referral!! Our daughter has been with us for a year next week and is from Zhijiang, Hunan, which is a village that borders Guizhou. She is of the Dong minority and the Dong people seem to have very similar traits...fair hair, fair skin , roundish eyes and beautiful smiles. YOu must be just about dying of excitement. Good Luck with the most exciting part of your journey.

kris said...

Oh my gosh... it sounds amazing. The photos are breathtaking- I swear when it's my turn my child will think my sis is mom, cuz I'll be the one wanting to take all the photos!

amy said...

This was great news to read..I learn so much from those of you whose wait it almost over..

Congrats again

Colleen said...

Thanks for posting this info. I really couldn't find much info anout our province but maybe I didn't try hard enough. I didn't find a yahoo group for our orphanage which stinks.... great photo's. I hope you have pics tomorrow.

Doris & Dan said...

You are so resourceful! Really interesting and really important to know.

Keep smilin!

Lisa and Doug said...

That is so interesting! The pictures are beautiful! I have been doing some research on Chongqing and I plan to post soon! Thanks for sharing!

Dannye said...

this really is quite interesting facts you've found out...cool...in order to help you pass the time waiting for TA and your CA, I have tagged you for an interesting Meme, check out my blog if so you wish to participate!!

RoLo said...

This is so interesting that you for sharing:)

Jennifer "Jenny" said...

What beautiful people and pictures!

Emmie said...

Thanks for hharing the info you've found. It's sure sounds like a unique place. The pictures are absolutely beautiful!

Val and Ron said...

Hey Julie,

I tried to email you answers to the email you sent me, via the link on your blog, but it was returned. Can you email me at Valandron@shaw.ca and I will send it again to whatever address you email me from.

Val
Mom to Olivia from Hunan

C.J. said...

Love that post...thanks for all that info!

Elisa, Jarrod & Thomas said...

It's so exciting.
I can't wait to see it all in person!

Alyson & Ford said...

We wish you the best on your journey! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Alyson
LID 01/27/06

Alisa said...

Hi. We just received PA for our little boy who is from the same area that your daughter was from. I was wondering how you found the yahoo group from that area. I've tried typing in a couple of different things but come up with no matches. Loved your page on Guizhou. Any info you have would be fantastic. Thanks. Alisa