Sunday, March 04, 2007

carrier questions

It certainly looks like we will be in China at some point over the hot summer. I have been told that summer in Beijing is unbearable with the heat and the smog - ugg!! I have been thinking about how to make the trip more enjoyable.

When I start purchasing summer clothes for my family I will be looking for 100% cotton and "wicking" fabrics - that we see in sports stores. The whole conversation brings me to baby carriers.

I have no idea how heavy Naomi will be, but I do like the idea of a carrier. First, there will be times where a stroller will be useless - like climbing the Great Wall for example. Second, because it promotes bonding. Third, because after a few days of carrying Francis around, my back, arms and wrists were so cramped I could barely lift a coffee mug.

About a year ago, I purchased this Infantino Tech Rider carrier at Winners for about $30. I thought it looked good - padded shoulder rests and lumbar support. I was having a good look at it recently and it looks very complicated as well as all made out of nylon and other non-natural fabrics. I keep thinking that Naomi and I will both die of heat in this thing - no??

I really like the idea of a sling - a nice breathable cotton one would be fantastic. Since I have never used one, does anyone who has BTDT have any ideas, suggestions, recommendations? I wonder if I can make one myself? I could use some really pretty fabric. I really like the one pictured below. It's called a Jetson Sateen Ring Sling by ZoloWear. Let me rephrase - I like the concept and the way it looks - I have no idea how it would feel to wear this for a couple of hours.

11 comments:

Stacy said...

I was just looking at a sling like this on Friday! It is very interesting to me. I wonder if they are as comfortable as they look.

I am going to be stalking ~ I mean watching ~ your post for replys. :) I have a site bookmarked at work for a sling like this with a pocket. If you are intersted I will e-mail you tomorrow.

Krista said...

My sister has MANY different carriers. She has an addiction I think. Plus she has four kids. She said she likes her Ergo carrier the best.

I've seen a couple other people talking about carriers recently. I'm going to ask my sister to write a blog post about it over at her blog because she really has tried almost all of them. I'll post on my blog when she does so stay tuned.

Mark & Michelle said...

I am so far away from that stuff that I haven't thought about it, but I will be checking back to see what others say...

Michelle said...

I went to China in the summer. The only way to describe it was MISERABLE. The two things that kept me sane were the air conditioned buildings(freezing, actually), and the swimming pool. Of course, the excitement of meeting my niece made the whole experience more baerable too! :)

Deb and Sean said...

You bring up a great topic that I've yet to consider. That sling is stylin'! I will often suffer in the name of fashion, but I'm thinking practicality is essential here! I too will stay tuned for the final word ............

Lee-Anne said...

I did the same thing! I ended up selling the first one on ebay, and bought a Hip Hammock style carrier, (Quinny brand) on ebay! BUT, I've heard alot of folks say that the MeiTai is the way to go.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mei-Tai-Boutique-Brown-Green-Leaf-Reversible-Large_W0QQitemZ180091811021QQihZ008QQcategoryZ117031QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Mums love em, babies love em (apparently!)... now I'm thinking should trade in my hip hammock!!!

C.J. said...

I'll be waiting on you to tell me.

My mamas do rave about the slings....MeiTai

Steffie B. said...

We did the carrier. It was a good way to carry Sophia through China and the airports.

carrie said...

Hi there
I'm definately doing the ERGO at least for my husband but am also thinking of this too given the heat...
Would love to hear feedback also!

gramarie said...

I like that sling thingie. You could make one easy. Pick some nice LIGHT coloured fabric (like... um.. white?) to reflect off the sun glare.
Yep.. sounds good.

TBG Happenings said...

I used a sling with both my kiddos and loved it...but it is lots of fabric. I bought I hip panda (hip panda.com) and I am waitng patiently (HA!) for Sophie so we can try it out. I would think it would be cooler...but if its a freakin hot as everyone says it is in China in the summer, your just going to be hot! Good luck

Maryellen