Sunday, February 04, 2007

Cheap art for little farts ...

A while back I bought two really nice white frames at HomeSence for $5.99 each. I have been trying to think of what to put in them - I wanted something fun and whimsical - but not expensive - and it had to fit in the tiny frame. So, this morning I had an idea ... something I learned in kindergarten. Melted crayons. For those of you who aren't aware of this form of art. all you have to do is peel the paper off your crayons and sharpen them until there is nothing left. Then you take the sharpenings and some waxed paper, paper towel and possibly an old tea towel over to your ironing board. First, lay out some paper towel to protect your board, then a piece of the waxed paper - wax side up, then disperse the crayon shavings then top with another piece of waxed paper, then more paper towel, then a tea towel. Got all that?? Ok, here's the tricky part ... then you IRON the whole thing at a low setting. You have to iron it until the crayon melts and fuses the waxed paper together. Depend on how much you iron it you will get different effects - see my example. After it cooled a bit I cut out some hearts from a stencil. See how pretty. And here is how it looks like in the frames!


Pretty don't you think?

18 comments:

RoLo said...

this is so cute, what a great idea:)

Michelle said...

Ooooooo....it is pretty! I had totally forgotten about crayon melting. I am going to have to try that with "my" kids! Thanks!

C.J. said...

Well isn't that crazy cool? This girlie has a lot to learn!

wzgirl said...

Niiice. Nothing like a good craft project and mixing pretty colors to brighten up a weekend.

Elise said...

Love it!!! I love a good inexpensive art piece...from one crafty girl to another! I will have to remember that one!

Doris & Dan said...

That is so nice! You are really creative.

Keep smilin!

Lisa and Doug said...

Wow - that did turn out pretty! I learned something new today!

Lisa & Jeff said...

I forgot all about melted crayons! They turned out purdy!

Matt and Kathy said...

They are beautiful and match her room perfectly. What a great idea!

Jill and Jaap said...

VERY PRETTY!

Colleen said...

I DO remember doing that and it was so much fun!! They came out soooo pretty. Loves em!

Elisa, Jarrod & Thomas said...

They are great, I just re did something that Thomas had on his wall which was all blue and white, now the blue is all gone and filled with pretty pink things!
Don't ya just love doing pretty things for a girls room!

Mark & Michelle said...

What a great idea - might just have to check that out!

PromiseKeepersDaughter said...

Amazing. Oh what fun I will have trying this out!

Donna & Joe said...

What a great idea! Your hearts look adorable in the white frames...this is just too cute. I'm going to give this a try.

Donna :)

A Special Family said...

you are very gifted!!!!

Jeff and Michelle said...

Very nice! I forgot about this, and I have always wanted to try it!!

Michelle

Kim said...

I've gotta try that! It would be cute with a myriad of things, like blues for boys...