Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Insights to China – summary

A peek into China

Language basics:
Ni hao – how are you – basic greeting
Ni hao ma – greeting to someone you know well – more of a question
Wo jiao (sounds more like Wa tsow – 2 syllables very fast) My name is …
Zhong guo (sounds like jung gwa) China
Zai jian (sounds like tzai tian)
Heng gao xing jian dao ni (sounds like heng gow sing tien dow ni) I am very happy to see you
Quing (sounds like ching) please
Xie xie (sounds like sia sia) Thank you

Misc. notes:
Red is the festive color
Buddhism, Taoism and Confucius – all 3 work together, 2 philosophies and 1 religion all in 1 temple
Symbols and symbolism are very important in China
Beijing is more traditional – Shanghai is more business -like and modern
China is the third largest country after Russia and Canada
18,000 km of coastline
The yellow river is really yellow. It is the birthplace of Chinese civilization. It begins in the Himalayas and empties into the Pacific Ocean
90% of the nationality is han
The major minority are Mongolians (Mongol)
Mongolians used to rule China in the sung dynasty
The climate is tropical in the south and in the North they have 4 seasons – temperature much like in Canada.

Food:
Don’t eat the fruits and vegetables raw unless you want to be very sick!

Well that’s it for this week! I was busy listening and didn’t take very many notes. Stay tuned next Wednesday for part 2!

7 comments:

Doris & Dan Clark said...

It was a good class. Fingers crossed for next week. Good summary.

Keep smilin!

tracy said...

Thanks for the post, I'll just follow along. I'll have to save this for the hope that I'll make it to China within the next decade! It'll be useful info.

Jeff and Michelle said...

Oh no! Why can't you eat the fruits and vegetables raw? I have been wondering about the food in China.

Thanks!
Michelle

Connie said...

Hey, thanks for the summary. I have to hear the Chinese words spoken or I will butcher it to no end I am sure. I had a link to do that online but gotta find it again.

Sounds like a great class!

PromiseKeepersDaughter said...

Great my Daughter is coming with us and guess what!??? uh huh she's a vegetarian.
Mental note. Thanks
*HUGABUGS*
EDIT: te he word verification sounds Chinese!
fuaow

Lisa and Doug said...

This is wonderful! I am going to make some notes! :)

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am just curious (I read your blog from time to time). Where are those Chinese course taken?

Bye,

(Great blog)!